Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thank you, Better Batter Flour

This week we started rehearsal for a play called Peter Pan Returns. The whole family is in it. Miss M and JB are lost children, and DH is Smee and I am Mrs. Smee? And get this--Mrs. Smee is a Jewish Yiddishe wife. Not sure how to do it yet, though my husband said to listen to NY accents and get some tapes of the Yiddeshe Mama! Well, with rehearsals around dinner time, I need some picnic like meals, easy and portable snacks so kids can eat and get to bed soon after rehearsal. I have done lettuce wraps and sushi during the summer. So I started with that. But it is October! It is starting to get very cold! I need to think something more substantial. Maybe sandwiches, pasties, knishes? Those are usually out for gluten free diets.


Anyway, I have had no luck making my own GF flour, so I have been trying out different mixes and flours. Some of the mixes I looked into had gelatin and that for us is out. I needed a gluten free, corn free, dairy free, gelatin free mix that I could use WITHOUT eggs. I think I found one. It is all of that AND KOSHER! Yeah! I read about it on Vegan and Gluten free yahoo group a while ago, but never ordered it until now. It came on Monday. It is called Better Batter.Made with rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and pectin, It ia a basic white flour. It stated that you could substitiute cup for cup in any recipe calling for regular flour. I felt challenged to put it to the test. Okay, how about knish?



I used a recipe for knish from vegweb, using Better Batter instead of the wheat flour in the recipe.




The dough rolled out like regular dough. It didn't fall apart, and was not too fragile.


In the oven, the knish held together pretty well, and best of all, they were good! We were going to rehearsal and I wanted them for the family to eat during break, so I rushed them out of the oven a little early. My husband had one and said," These are wheat, right? So, I don't have to share? Pretty good!" I have to say, that made my day! :) Here is the link to the recipe for knish and the pics of what I did and the results. Better Batter, thank you!



No comments: