Friday, October 23, 2009

Gluten free egg free Challah!


Better Batter is great, and Orgran is another great mix-though it is based on corn. But if we are going to be eating starch, I cannot afford to be eating nutrient deficient, white flour/starch based bread, sort of a GF version of Wonderbread but without the added vitamins! I have been making challah with the Orgran mix and adding flaxseed, and it makes a pretty good substitiute for challah. But both Mis M and myself need to cut back on the corn, if not get rid of it completely ( that thought scares me right now, so just think about cutting back) .


A while back, I heard of a vegan gluten free bread recipe, and so many people tried it and raved, I thought it might be the answer to GF, corn free vegan challah. So, I tried it. For the cornstarch I subbed 1/2 potato and 1/2 oat flour, so we could say "hamotzei", a special blessing on bread made from wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt. the only one of those grains that I can eat is the oats! I added 2 TB of agave to give it more of a honey flavor. I then spooned it ito my special braided pan for challah, and let it rise. I then followed all the instrtucions, including covering the challah with foil after 10 minutes and let bake for another 30-40 minutes. My challah pan is bigger, so I baked for 40 minutes and the top is lighter than the bottom, but it looks fantastic!
I had enough for a couple of mini loaves. We cut one open. The crumb, the moistness, was all you could ask in a bread. The flavor . . outstanding! Thank you to Mark for creating the recipe and the flour blend, and Sally for trying it first and giving me the courage to try another flour mix!
Here is the link to Sally's blog where the recipe is: http://aprovechar.danandsally.com/?p=228#more-228
Let me know if you try it and if it works for you!

No comments: