Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A new year, and I can begin anew! I am trying to recreate some of the comfort foods I and my husband had as children for our children, and this last year has not turned up many successes. The teacakes worked and still do, I made Challah that my son thought was better than anything I had made before, but I made it with eggs, and my darling daughter, the divine Miss M, is right now on an egg free diet. I have been trying to make egg free bread and cake without much success. I totally killed 3 different batches of honeycake-none of those recipes worked. No wheat no dairy with egg-I got that down. No wheat, no dairy no egg? hard, dense, deflated hockey puck. There must be a way to make good comfort food like bread and cakes and knishes and dumplings, and pies that are vegan and gluten free! Oh, and did I mention, I would like it to be pseudo healthy? :)

My husband has challenged me to keep a record of what worked (and what didn't), so here I am!



So, it is a work in progress. I am going to document my experiments and if something is great I will share the recipe.

1 comment:

Gluten Free Sourdough Baker said...

Hi G,
I have developed and perfected bread that is free of gluten, dairy, egg, soy, corn and yeast. I have combined sourdough technique with gluten free flours and it really works. The baking technique is a little different but is not hard once you master the concepts and techniques. You can see my free recipes on my blog: glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com and purchase my recipe e-book at www.food-medicine.com. The breads are great, my grandchildren eat them, that's the test, isn't it? that kids don't spit it out?